Monday, December 20, 2010

Crate & Barrel DIY Inspiration Bonanza

I'm sure Crate and Barrel didn't intend to inspire me in their newest catalogue. However, I can't help but see a ton of items BEGGING for a good old fashioned DIY.

Here's the link to the Holiday Gift Guide catalogue. Unfortunately, I can't save each individual item to show you. I can, though, give you a virtual tour through my DIY thought process. (Is this lame or clever? You be the judge.)

1. Cover page has some great ideas for gift wrapping. Take even an old tin can--I think it's safe to say that we all have one or two old popcorn tins laying around--and decorate with construction paper and rubber cement. Or Or (Side note: does anyone love "So I Married an Axe Murderer" as much as I do? or reference it as often in every day life?)...I love the idea of buying one sheet of holiday-themed scrapbook paper and cutting it into strips to wrap around small, festive-colored boxes.

2. Page 2. This is super simple, but I love the idea of using white and red sugar or sprinkles to fill the bottom of a white cake stand. Put some yummy cookies or cupcakes on the colored "snow" and off you go!

3. The mittens on page 3 want to make me reread that book about all the forest animals who find shelter in the lost mitten. Oooh. Gee. Boo. Mittens who've lost their mate or one's you've found on the cheap at thrift stores would be too easy to fill with biscotti, chocolate-covered peppermint sticks, candy canes, rock sugar sticks. You name it! Make them or just assemble them at home for an adorably small yet thoughtful gift.

Another side note: I just want to cover those puppies on page 9 in kisses!

4. I think that you could make a plant in a box just like on page 10. Maybe get a wicker or ceramic box, fill with soil and some cute seeds, wrap a bow with a picture of the adult version of your little seedling and some how-to care instructions, and you have a gift that keeps on giving!

5. Page 11's fire starters look super easy to recreate. In fact, design*sponge has done the homework for you here!

6. You could easily find unusual ways to hang your ornaments around the house this year. Create a mobile with wire hangers, maybe? And that cookie tree (also on page 13) looks like it would be easy to stack up against ;)

7. Pillow. Stage left. Page 14. Done and done. Follow a post like this one from Bliss Bloom Blog and you can do this type of felt project anywhere! On a fabric pillow, I'd suggest gluing the "leaves" so you don't have to put your heads on pins and needles...literally.

8. I've been seeing a lot of these gathered ornaments (like on page 16) pop up this holiday season. I love them hung from a chandelier!

9. I'm pretty sure I could whip up some fake-me-out leather coasters with matching snap holder like the ones on page 18 in a SNAP! Pun intended :) You could even make them in felt, if you so choose. They have this great textured felt nowadays, and I've been dying to find a project that fits them. (Something about felt really does it for me this season. New low.) I think this is that perfect project!
10. Although it looks like it would be really hard to make a twig candle holder like on page 22, I think you could get the same sentiment with a twig and a few tea lights scattered nearby. And the price is just right.
11. Page 30 has an adorable snowman plate that you could certainly custom make on your own. Buy a glass plate, glass paint, and go to town on the BACK SIDE of the plate. Make sure to follow directions on how to seal the paint so you can hand wash the top after Santa has eaten all of his cookies. And also make sure that you start from the front of the snowman (or whatever you choose to paint) and work your way back. Paint the nose, eyes, and buttons first so that when you paint over them with the white snow body you can still see these tiny details from the front of the plate. Make sense?
12. I love this bag of "coal" on page 31. I may just have to run out and buy it for my dad, who loves licorice. However, if you want to make it yourself, sew a quick drawstring bag, attach felt letters, and cut up some black licorice. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
13. Love the aprons on page 33. Think of all the options you have to make: snowman, Christmas tree, ornament, Mrs. Claus, elf. I'd recommend some heavy-duty fabric that can withstand a little water and butter action, but besides that, I think they'd look great with eyeballed measurements.
14. I'm exhausted. SO MANY IDEAS! I think pages 34 and 35 have a few great ornament ideas, but I just can't put the words together. Anyone have any suggestions? ;)
15. I know this isn't what C&B was thinking with the tin on page 53, but wouldn't it be such a cute idea to paint a checkerboard on the top of a tin and then fill it with checker pieces as a to-go game? The paint would be easy to find at a craft store and you could either make the pieces or get them and the tin at a thrift store for cheap. I'm thinking my seasonal obsession just switched from felt to tin. What do you think?
Photo courtesy of Bliss Bloom Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment