Tuesday, November 2, 2010

S'more Smorbrod, Please!

Not all projects at Pepper involve arts and crafts. In fact, last night I was aware of a very important project that needed to be solved ASAP...DINNER! Justin is usually the cook in our house, but because he'd already had a "snack" of left-over cardboard pizza (his words) he wasn't hungry. And since I'd left work around 6 o'clock, slaving over a hot stove just for me was the last thing that I wanted to be doing. Solution: Smorbrod.
In Denmark, they make smorbrod (pronounced s'more brawd)--little toasts covered in all sorts of different goodies--for dinner. I believe it's the Scandinavian version of the Spanish tapas. It's also the Pepper version of fast food ;) So with a grumbling tummy and tired feet, I went at it with some leftover bread from the book club, three Roma tomatoes, 1 clove of garlic, a few leaves fresh basil, EVOO, leftover feta cheese block also from the book club, Devil's food in a can, and Miracle Whip. While the bread toasted under the broiler, I mixed up some bruschetta and Devil's food--canned minced meat. I topped these suckers once the bread was golden brown and sat down to a quickie meal. ;) I would have been 100% happy with this project if I'd had one more topping option. I would have loved to try a chili cheese dog smorbrod with leftover chili, cheese, onions, and mini weenies (from book club Halloweenies). But the chili was bad, so I had to use the Devil's food on two out of the three toasts. I also thought tuna would have been nice, but I didn't want to open a brand new jar just for me. Maybe next time, I'll be more creative with what I find in the fridge, but for now, I'm happy with this quick dinner trick. Leftovers + bread = dinnertime in no time!

PS. In the book club post, I mentioned this bottle of Twisted Cabernet Sauvingnon. Here it is at the cabin we were visiting over the weekend. It matched perfectly with the Halloween decor...just like it did at the book club. This baby is just BEGGING to be opened and enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment