Sunday, November 7, 2010

Final Halloween Showdown: DIY Decor

OK, now I know that it's already the first weekend in November, which means that Halloween 2010 has come and gone (seven times over by now). But, I had a few more things that I wanted to share about my Halloween decor before I take it down because I'm just that excited about it! This year, my Halloween pride and joy was my entryway decor: I got the idea from Young House Love's Halloween video. It's a little blurry, since I'm still working off my cell phone camera, but I thought I'd share it with you all before I take it down. (I just brought up the Halloween bin, so I figured it's now or never.)

I'll start from the top:
1. We had this ghoul on a stick thing for our front yard from a few years ago. Unfortunately, the stick broke (oh college kids), so all we had left was this broken man...I hung him up on our coat hook and love the way his hand sort of falls over the front of the mirror.

2. I changed my white candles for orange ones in my lanterns (purchased two years ago from Kohl's).

3. The top left square has a wooden skeleton that Justin and I found in our new garage two years ago. Pretty scary to just come across in your new house, but it's working quite well as a strong Halloween piece. In front of him is a glass box I received last year for Christmas from my boss's boss. It had chocolates in it, but we've long finished those. I hung onto the box and put in it a few bones from another old Halloween piece. It was a foam grave stone with little bones, but I didn't feel like decorating the front yard this year. It turned out to be a good idea, since Justin and I went to Big Bear, Calif. this Halloween weekend. We pretty much missed the whole holiday, which was sort of nice ;)
OK, back to the decor.

4. The top right square is a stack of black and red books that I already had. They have nice spooky titles to boot.

5. The middle square has a framed photo that I moved from the bookshelf. It's from a trip I took to Costa Rica in grad school: an angel leaning over a grave with her finger shhhhing passersby. I love it! There's also a black leaf from the afore-mentioned gravestone decor from years past. It's leaning up against the frame for a little extra spooky umph.

6. In the bottom left square is a single yellow flower in a clear bud vase.

7. Finally, in the bottom right square are my clear jars that I found at a local antique store. They're filled with wine corks. It's not exactly spooky, but I thought it fit with the whole old and used theme.

Hooray! I've shared my last Halloween thoughts with you for 2010! What I learned so far is that I need to start thinking about the next holiday a lot earlier than I did for Halloween. I don't think that I should get my Christmas decor up before Thanksgiving. Oh, heck no. I want to enjoy the moment while I'm in it, but also get some planning going so that I can hit the ground running, as they say.

By the time I really got into the swing of Halloween decor this year, I had only like two days left before the holiday! No bueno. So what that means is: 1. Finish my fall decor now (i.e. carve my pumpkin. I know, I know, but I think it will work with my fall plans), and 2. Start planning NOW for Christmas decor. My parents are coming into town for Christmas, so this year is going to be AMAZE-Balls (as Justin says).

Happy Belated Halloween and be safe when you "fall back!"

No comments:

Post a Comment