Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Halloween Dinner Party Decor

Like many, fall is my favorite season. Pumpkin-, cherry-, and golden-colored leaves. Brisk walks. Nights by the fire. Apple pie, turnovers, crisp, sauce, butter, cider...the list is endless.


Halloween, though not my favorite holiday, has always been a super festive occasion. And, this year will mark the first year I have my very own dinner party! For Halloween this year, I've decided to have my girlfriends (and possibly adding guy friends soon) from my book club over to my house for dinner and discussion. More of the former, less of the latter. Actually, I may be the only one who read the book for our inaugural meeting, but it was a really great read. Check out The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan if you're looking for a creepy, but not horror book for this ghostly season.


Anywho, I wanted to use this first book club meeting as a reason to have some classy Halloween-inspired decor. Usually I'm all about the fake spider webs and tomb stones, but I must be getting older because I really wanted something more mature this year. Or maybe my style is growing up a bit, we can only hope :) So, for this dinner party, I created my very own mood/inspiration board for the event! It was so much fun, I offered to make one for my sister's twin's first birthday party, too, even though she had no idea what I was talking about! See my Halloween Dinner Party inspiration board here:
I went with a sort of Sleepy Hallow meets Twilight sort of theme with this decor. And I tried to use a lot of stuff that I already had around the house so I wouldn't break the bank with decorations that would only stay up for a month. I think I have a thing for felt right now between felt flower pillows (post coming soon) and those bat napkin holders. Eh, there are worse things than felt to be obsessed with ;)

I also want to have a few pumpkins on the front stoop and possibly these adorable little guys--courtesy of Sweet Paul--for each place setting: Fashionista Pumpkins! (DIY located here.)




However, the outdoor pumpkins will have to wait. I'm slow to learn that here in 70 degree San Diego, the pumpkins rot within about a week if you get them too early. I've patiently waited until this weekend to get mine ready for the big event!


I might even get a few extras to create this gorgeous centerpiece (which will have to go on the buffet counter) from DIY Weddings (I swear I came by this honestly and not on a wedding hunt seeing as I'm NOT engaged...www.kimmyles.com had it on display)
I've also seen pumpkins used as ice buckets for drinks and soup tureens, which would work perfect if I go with Sam the Cooking Guy's Curry Pumpkin Soup for the "book club" dinner (I'm going to put that in quotes from now on until I find out that I'm not the only one who read the book, fyi). If you don't know Sam, you need to get on his Web site. He's a genius.


When I finally get my pumpkins finished and my book club decor complete, I'll be sure to post my projects. For now, I'm enjoying the mini pumpkins Justin surprised me with last week at work. Just cute enough to give me some fall flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment