Friday, October 22, 2010

Getting Batty: Halloween Napkin Ring DIY 101

For my Halloween Dinner Party/Book Club Dinner, I decided to make these batty napkin rings from Eddie Ross. (You can find the template there.) I bought a few sheets of black felt, cut out a print of the template, and went to town with a pair of my crafting scissors.
Here's what the cutouts looked like when I was done:

They were pretty easy to make, although very fussy and a little difficult to cut both sides exactly the same. Also, the paper cutout was hard to keep in one place on the felt; I'd probably pin it to the felt next time so it doesn't slip around too much. Once I cut out one felt bat, I was able to use a felt-on-felt pattern, which didn't slip as much as the paper. I might also consider getting some white chalk to draw out the shapes on each piece, although I'm not sure that would have helped too much since part of the problem was getting the corners cut without pulling on the felt. No one likes a fuzzy corner! The size of the slit that you have to cut to complete the ring was a bit of a conundrum. Finding the right balance between being big enough to fit the felt but not too big that it ripped through the edge of the slit was the hardest part. I find that a little wrinkle in the felt is better than having to re-cut the entire thing due to a stretched slit.

OK, so it sounds like they were hard to make, but in all honesty, it took about a half hour to cut out all six while watching old episodes of Veronica Mars. Guilty pleasures: mysteries and crafts :) Here's what the napkin ring looks like in action:
With two sheets of felt for about $0.30 a piece, I've got six napkin rings for under a buck. Can't beat that! Aren't they adorable with my ghostly green napkins and new tableware? While at Michael's for the felt, I also picked up a fax leaf center piece to use for parts, a berry twig, and a jack-o-lantern kit for less than $10. Holler!

After stopping by our local nursery and pumpkin "patch" and picking up a few goodies, I'm about as autumned out as I can get! Can't wait to show you what I whip up with these guys...




See pumpkin DIYs here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment